US and Nigerian Forces Kill Senior ISIS Leader in Joint Operation, Trump Says
US and Nigerian Forces Kill Senior ISIS Leader in Joint Operation, Trump Says
United States President Donald Trump has announced that Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described as the second-in-command of the Islamic State group (ISIS) globally, was killed during a joint military operation carried out by American and Nigerian forces.
According to Trump, the operation was conducted on Friday following intelligence reports that tracked the ISIS leader’s movements in Africa. In a statement shared on Truth Social, Trump praised both the US military and the Nigerian Armed Forces for what he called a “meticulously planned and very complex mission.”
Trump stated that the operation was carried out under his directive and involved close cooperation between the United States and Nigeria. He described Abu-Bilal al-Minuki as “the most active terrorist in the world” and claimed the ISIS commander believed he could remain hidden in Africa without detection.
In his statement, Trump said:
“Tonight, at my direction, brave American forces and the Armed Forces of Nigeria flawlessly executed a meticulously planned and very complex mission to eliminate the most active terrorist in the world from the battlefield.”
He further noted that intelligence sources had been monitoring the ISIS leader’s activities, which ultimately led to the operation that resulted in his death.
The US president also publicly thanked the Nigerian government for supporting the mission and cooperating with American forces.
The report did not provide specific details about the exact location of the operation, the number of casualties involved, or whether additional ISIS members were captured during the mission.
The announcement comes amid increasing international concern over extremist activities across parts of Africa, particularly in regions affected by insurgency and armed militancy. Nigeria has faced years of security challenges linked to terrorist organizations, including Boko Haram and ISIS-affiliated groups operating in parts of northern Nigeria and the Lake Chad region.
Relations between the United States and Nigeria on security matters have also attracted attention in recent months. Trump had previously accused Nigeria of failing to protect Christians from persecution — allegations the Nigerian government strongly denied.
Tensions between both countries grew further after the United States reportedly carried out strikes on suspected Islamist bases in northwestern Nigeria on Christmas Day last year. Those operations followed Trump’s earlier comments criticizing the Nigerian government’s handling of religious violence and terrorism.
Despite previous disagreements, the latest operation suggests that both nations continue to maintain military and intelligence cooperation against extremist threats.
Security analysts have repeatedly warned that Africa has become an increasingly important region for terrorist organizations seeking to expand operations outside the Middle East. The reported killing of a senior ISIS figure is therefore likely to be viewed as a significant development in ongoing international counterterrorism efforts.
The reported death of Abu-Bilal al-Minuki marks a major moment in the fight against ISIS and highlights growing military cooperation between the United States and Nigeria. While authorities have not yet released full operational details, the announcement signals continued efforts by both countries to target extremist networks operating within Africa.
The operation may also strengthen security ties between Washington and Abuja, especially as global concerns over terrorism in the region continue to rise.