Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Browse articles
Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

GDPR Compliance

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

UN Reports Multiple Israeli Military Incidents Near UNIFIL Positions in Southern Lebanon.

0:00 0:00


The United Nations has detailed two separate incidents involving Israeli military forces obstructing United Nations peacekeeping operations in southern Lebanon, raising concerns about compliance with international obligations. According to UN spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric, speaking on behalf of Farhan Haq, the first incident occurred when Israeli troops actively instructed a UNIFIL convoy to leave a specific area, temporarily halting its movement. Haq explained to reporters that the convoy was later able to proceed, but the delay highlighted tensions along the Blue Line. The second episode involved an Israeli tank briefly blocking a UNIFIL patrol near the coastal town of Naqoura, where UN peacekeepers regularly monitor cross-border activity.


In response to these events, Haq emphasized that such restrictions directly violate the principle of respecting UNIFIL’s freedom of movement, which is a cornerstone of the peacekeeping mission’s mandate. “Such restrictions are inconsistent with the obligation to respect UNIFIL’s freedom of movement,” he told reporters, adding a broader appeal for restraint. “We call on all actors to fully respect this obligation,” Haq said, urging both the Israeli military and other parties operating near the border to ensure unimpeded access for UN personnel. The remarks underscore growing frustration within the UN over repeated access issues that hinder the mission’s ability to monitor ceasefires and reduce tensions.


Beyond the mobility restrictions, the UN also reported live fire incidents involving the Israeli military in close proximity to UNIFIL positions. Haq disclosed that on Thursday, three mortar rounds fired by Israeli forces landed approximately 70 meters (230 feet) from a UNIFIL post near Rmeish, a village situated directly on the Lebanon-Israel border. While no injuries were reported, the close range of the impacts raised alarm over the safety of peacekeepers stationed in the area, as such near misses could easily result in casualties or escalate into broader confrontations between Israel and Hezbollah, which maintains a strong presence in southern Lebanon.


In a separate development earlier on the same day, UNIFIL documented additional strikes near its facilities in Biyyada, another location along the volatile frontier. Haq confirmed that the mission reported “one impact inside and another near a UN position” in Biyyada, which resulted in material damage to buildings within the peacekeepers’ compound. The UN did not immediately attribute the Biyyada strikes to a specific party but released the details as part of a growing pattern of incidents threatening the safety of international personnel. The organization continues to call for a de-escalation of hostilities and full respect for UNIFIL’s safety and operational freedom, as cross-border fire between Israel and Lebanese armed groups has intensified over recenwt weeks.

3
Prev Article
Lebanon Condemns Israeli Airstrike Destroying Primary Healthcare Centre in Tyre.
Next Article
APC disqualifies pro-Fubara Reps members, clears Wike allies for Rivers primaries

Related to this topic:

Comments (0)

    Leave a Comment